Does your doctor prescribe antibiotics every time you get a sinus infection? Wouldn’t it be better to fix whatever is causing the problem, instead of just treating your symptoms? If you have sinus or ear problems, you know how frustrating it can be to live with pressure, pain, and an inability to breathe. It can affect your sleep, your focus at work, and your enjoyment of life in general. Some ear, nose, and throat doctors in NY can only make an educated guess to diagnose and treat your sinusitis. But the allergy and asthma associates at NYASC can use our in-office sinus CT scanner to confirm your diagnosis before treatment. It’s fast, convenient, and accurate.
WHAT IS A CT SCAN?
A CT scan – sometimes called a CAT scan – is a test that can help your NYC doctor diagnose and treat specific medical conditions. It combines specialized x-ray equipment with computer technology to generate cross-sectional images of the inside of the body. These images show your bones, soft tissue, and blood vessels with more clarity and detail than normal x-rays.
By using a minimally invasive 3D imaging cone beam scanner to help diagnose your sinus or ear problems, you can get faster relief from your symptoms. One of the best ways to diagnose sinus and ear problems is with a CT (computed tomography) scan (also known as a “CAT” scan). Until recently, if your doctor needed a CT scan to diagnose your sinus or ear problem, they would have sent you to a hospital or imaging center for a scan on a full-body CT scanner, and then brought you back to their office for a follow-up visit to discuss your diagnosis and make a treatment plan. This process can take days or even weeks, delaying your treatment and relief.
Now, Dr. Nejat can diagnose your problems during your first office exam using a cone beam scanner-an upright, open-design CT scanner that creates instant, high quality images of the sinuses and ears. This scan is quick, easy, and comfortable. Adult scans take 40 seconds and pediatric scans take only 20 seconds, and the radiation dose is up to 90% lower than sinus and ear scans taken on full-body CT scanners. With our scanner, Dr. Nejat gets digital 3D images of your sinuses and ears, which gives him instant access to the information needed to diagnose your problem. Dr. Nejat can show you your scan on a computer monitor, explain your condition, and you can begin your treatment plan right away. The faster you begin your treatment, the faster you can get relief from your symptoms!
ENT doctors, allergists, and asthma specialists often send patients to the hospital to get a CT scan of the sinuses. But the NYC X-Ray doctors at the New York Allergy and Sinus Centers have the only Minicat™ CT Scanner in Manhattan. Many physicians refer their patients to NYASC to obtain precise 3-dimensional images of their sinuses while minimizing their radiation exposure.
WHY WOULD I NEED A CT SCAN?
CT scanning of the sinuses is primarily used to:
- Help diagnose and manage chronic or recurrent acute sinusitis.
- Detect inflammation or infection, even in deep areas that would be missed by nasal endoscopy or x-ray.
- Detect structural abnormalities in your sinuses that may be causing your symptoms, such as a deviated septum or nasal polyps.
- Evaluate sinuses that have thickened sinus membranes or are filled with fluid.
- Prepare for surgery by defining the precise structure of your sinuses and nasal cavity.
Your ENT doctor and our allergy and asthma associates will determine if a CT scan is recommended to help diagnose your condition. If the doctor feels it is appropriate, she may also refer you to our allergy and asthma clinic for allergy testing.
OUR CT SCANNER
You may have a mental image of a CT scanner that involves the patient lying on his back in a confined, cylindrical space. This is a conventional full-body CT scanner. Our CT scanner is different because it focuses on a particular part of the body: the sinuses. Therefore, your whole body doesn’t need to be inside the scanner, just your head. Our scanner also has an open design that minimizes claustrophobia and discomfort. Our Minicat™ CT scanner uses conebeam technology to focus just on the sinuses. This allows us to minimize radiation while providing a high tech three-dimensional image of the sinuses.
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO GET A CT SCAN?
A scan takes approximately 10-20 seconds. You will be seated upright, and may be asked to wear a lead apron (over your torso) or collar (around your neck). You will be asked to hold still, to close your eyes, and to avoid swallowing during the scan.
IS IT SAFE?
The radiation dose using our scanner is only 5-20% of the amount you would receive during a conventional sinus CT scan.
BENEFITS OF CT SCANS
- Fast, easy & convenient – instant on-site diagnosis leads to faster treatment and relief. Dr. Nejat can diagnose your problem during your office exam and prescribe treatment in one visit, so you can start feeling better faster.
- Painless and noninvasive
- Accurate, high-resolution images
- Lower dose of radiation – Adult scans have up to 15x lower radiation dose, and pediatric scans have up to 28x lower radiation dose than sinus scans taken on full-body CT scanners. Lower radiation dose gives you peace of mind.
- Safe – even if you have an implanted medical device (a knee replacement or pacemaker, for example)
- Upright, open design minimizes claustrophobia – You sit comfortably upright in a chair as an overhead arm makes a single rotation around your head. Open, patientfriendly design eliminates the sense of claustrophobia that many people experience during CT scans taken on full-body CT scanners.
- Same day diagnosis minimizes your insurance co-pays – By eliminating the need for an off-site CT scan and a follow-up office visit, you can reduce your insurance co-pays, minimize your out-of-pocket expenses, and save valuable time.
WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH THE IMAGES?
The images obtained during your scan can be viewed immediately on a computer monitor, transferred to a CD, or printed. NYASC will be able to use these images right away to diagnose you and begin your treatment sooner. We will also transfer the images to your ENT Dr (ears, nose, and throat) specialist, or other New York doctors for review. We can give them electronic access to your images within 10 minutes using Xoran Connect® – the files will be available for review and storage at their convenience.
If you scan was performed in preparation for surgery, we will also convert the scan, at no additional charge, to the Brainlab® protocol. This will allow your ENT doctor to perform your surgery using their ENT Navigation Application. With Brainlab®, your surgeon will be able to navigate more safely and accurately through the sinuses during surgery. Through improved visualization, the Brainlab® ENT navigation system offers improved patient safety while improving outcomes and decreasing complications. It is a “GPS for sinus surgery.”
WHY GO TO NYASC?
We can diagnose you with our Mincat™ CT scanner and treat your condition, all in the same office! No need to schedule a follow-up appointment or visit another facility. Our associates specialize in allergy, sinus, and asthma. This means that we can diagnose and treat the allergies that are aggravating your sinus problems.
FASTER DIAGNOSIS MEANS FASTER RELIEF!
If you are interested in learning more about CT scans of the sinuses, the allergists and specialists @ the NY Allergy & Sinus Centers would like to help.
Our doctors can also find relief for your respiratory allergies, nasal & sinus problems, ENT symptoms, skin conditions, and asthma. We have the latest treatments & testing, and we offer convenient allergy and asthma clinics throughout New York City. Call us @ 212-686-4448 for an appointment in Murray Hill, Midtown, Upper West Side, Chelsea, and Queens.